12 June 2013

It's proms night!

Tonight, I was like a student again, suffering the stress caused by final exams! The worse is probably that I was not the one graduating, and still my stomach was rumbling! I attended the final exam of a great musician, and very promising talent, although I think is Spanish (joke): Roberto González-Monjas.

This guys is a colossus, not really because he's tall, has big hands and is an incredible musician, but because he already has like 10 jobs before graduating. He's only 25 and yet, he is the leader of the Musikkollegium Winterthur, the Barcelona Symphony Orchestra and the Verbier Festival Symphony and Chamber Orchestras (amongst others). He also plays chamber music with prestigious artists, and he already teaches at Guildall, where he just gradated tonight from (??!!) and in Columbia in a music program similar to el Sistema (if I understood correctly). And he's a conductor too (as shown in the video). Such a one-man band!



It is usually common for musicians to have crazy lives, but the teaching thing impressed me a bit (he was on the website before graduating!).  He also has a beautiful violin and a great sound - sometimes you wonder how such a small wooden toy can make so much noise! I am already conquered, and I am sure one day you'll read his interview on the blog :)

Anyway, he played a great recital around Bach's music. He started with Bach's second sonata, followed  by Isaÿe's 4th sonata, and finishing with Busoni's second sonata.  For the latter piece, his partner in crime, who was as impressive, was Big Mama Palmer alias Caroline Palmer. To tell the truth, I won't try to be intelligent describing the details of the performance and talking about fancy stuff: I was just listenning to the music, and that's it. Beautiful music, beautiful perfomers, I was happy. (discovered Busoni's piece, which is pretty amazing).

Well Roberto is definitely a musician that deserves attention, and I will be following him for sure. Here is another video: click here.


I bid you good night kind readers,

PS: Actually I lied because I thought a bit during (after) the concert. To what extent the references to dances (like in Bach and Ysaÿe) should be understood as real dances, or if this is just an abstract material based on rythm?



No comments: